Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Reading for Picture Story

Reading Blog Post #2

I really enjoyed the Bill Jay and David Hurn reading about selecting a subject. Selecting subjects is a difficult topic that I have been struggling to overcome since joining this school. I seem to always search for stories that interest others while what I want to do seems to be thrown on the back-burner. By looking into the subjects that I truly care about I understand that it will reflect in my work. I have been looking into final topic subjects, and I really want to peruse white nose syndrome that has entered Missouri and continues to move west spreading by both humans and bats. I also understand that to have an audience which is greater than one person I need to have a subject that is universally interesting, but I cannot just sacrifice what I am interested in for the PoY type story.

The Lamott reading makes a lot of sense when thinking about story subjects. It is important to just start looking or thinking. One method which I have started to use is work through the Internet the way it was intended. YouTube is one of the best examples of moving through the Internet world. Start at one topic that interests you, and then look at the links and see where you go. As you are going through the videos think is there a local angle on this type of topic. This could produce all kinds of story ideas. By looking at videos that interest you there is an interest that can develop into something more. With this reading I believe that the key is to keep looking and you will run into ideas that will produce more ideas. Keep track and even if you are not ready to handle the idea right away, save it and it may have more relevance later.

No comments:

Post a Comment