Sunday, February 6, 2011

Layout for the father-daughter project


I began with the father holding the dress as the opening cover. This single image tells the entire story, it reflects the father's drive in the competition and the importance of his victory. My initial image is the father sitting on the couch cleaning his daughter's shoes. He is looking down with his eyes shadowed by his hat. I believe this would draw the reader into the story leaving them to ask more questions. Leaving the daughter off the first page shows that this competition isn't for the girl, it is for the father.

I believe that introducing the daughter watching the TV on the second page shows this this is a family story. The second spread brings us into the competition. I used the transition of the girls eyes looking up to the right to move into the competition with the bright lights in the upper right hand corner of the beauty contest. I felt that in the second spread I want the viewer to move through the show as if they are there watching the competition themselves. Letting the viewer see the show as it happens brings them into the story. Letting the view be a part of the story is much more effective than telling them how the story happened. I believe that the images speak for themselves and they don't need to be explained.

No comments:

Post a Comment