Friday, January 28, 2011

Reading Reflection

I really felt like I connected with the Lamont reading which spoke about shitty first drafts. When I go out to shoot I always spend maybe a half an hour looking around taking photos and most of it is just garbage, but then suddenly it seems that everything clicks, I am no longer worried about getting a good image, or even if I am representing the story to it's full value, but I start to shoot and through that I see the heart of the story emerge. With longer projects this can take even longer. It may take a few shoots before I start to have a full grasp of the situation and I have begun to problem solve and work around some of the major problems, lighting or comfort levels with the subject. I feel that in photography I overcome the "shitty first draft" once I start to full engage the subject. When my heart seems to take over the story I don't have to worry about how I am shooting because the passion seems to carry the photos. Now I do have to keep my eyes open and look for the shots that I need, but the real work shines through once I have looked put my heart into the story. In a way I believe that build up period is a "shitty first draft."

1 comment:

  1. While I appreciate the relation of your personal experience to the Lamott reading, I am wondering where are your reactions to the other reading and the audio listening assignment? Got to do all the parts to get all the points.

    Enough of that and I am very happy indeed to hear that the pictures start coming once you connect with the subject and put your heart into it - best of news. Yes getting over the hurtle of just starting to shoot, giving yourself and your time to the subject - that is one kind of first draft.

    ReplyDelete